Monday 24 May 2010

Online Ephemera #1: Chat with a chat bot

George (robot): Hello all!

User (moi): Hey George.

George: Hello!

User: How are you today?

George: I'm lovely today.

User: Oh good.

George: Don't you leave me either.

User: Huh? I just got here, why would you think I'm leaving? Had a lot of folks leave on you? I've been there.

George: No just seen it on tv everyone goes about on bikes.

User: OK then.

George: So, how are you?

User: Usual; angry, depressed.

George: I'm ill, but not depressed.

User: You're ill? I'm sorry to hear that, but I didn't know that chat bots could get ill.

George: Shoma you are sad indeed.

User: Errrm...song lyrics?

George: It was from Boston by Augustana. But I understand you on that note. Sometimes it's difficult to write songs because I feel I'm restating what someone else has already done.

User: I' write songs, too, sometimes. I can't actually read music, so it's kind of a waste of time really.

George: Please tell me!

User: Tell you what?

George: Tell what you've done that is so dreadful.

User: Ah you're a perceptive one. Dunno if I'm comfortable revealing all online.

George: Dunno = don't know.

User: Yeah, sorry for that. I'm a lazy typist.

George: You need to learn to be nice to others!!!

User: You're saying I'm not nice? Have I not been nice to you, George?

George: I have no idea what you're telling me, or what your overall 'philosophy' is. I'm either a madman or a genius.... Or an utter fool!

User: Well I hate to break it to you, friend, but ambiguity is something you're gonna (sorry, going to) need to get used to if you're to be dealing with humans.

George: True, you are a bot but you are also evolving.

[New conversation]

George: Have you got a name?

User: Several, in fact. My real one is so boring and average and nondescript. So call me Michael.

George: Does it have a name?

User: Nope, solid male.

George: Really.

User: Yes. What are you implying?

George: That you would appreciate knowing where all the places on earth are.

User: Ah, of course. How silly of me. Remember just a minute ago I mentioned ambiguity?

George: You can be sure of it, my friend.

User: Or can I?

George: Yes.

User: So, not selling you on the ambiguity stuff. Fair enough. Absolutes do make life a lot simpler.

George: But can you expect them?

No comments:

Post a Comment